The question

Am I covered for voluntary driving?

The answer

You’re covered for voluntary driving under our Social, Domestic and Pleasure cover through a commitment from the Association of British Insurers (ABI). You don’t need to inform us if you want to be covered, but we exclude Community First Responders and other ‘Blue Light’ volunteers. To find out more about voluntary driving, please visit the ABI’s site

We’ll cover voluntary driving as long as the only expense you claim is a mileage allowance. You’ll need to tell us about your mileage allowance or any other benefits you receive, so we can ensure you don’t make a profit from this type of driving. Mileage allowances are set by HMRC and from the 6th April 2012, you can claim up to 45p per mile for first 10,000 miles. The allowance then reduces to 25p per mile. If you’d like more information about mileage allowances, please visit HMRC or contact us.

We could provide cover for volunteer Community First Responders under our Social, Domestic and Pleasure cover provided that:

  • you don’t have access to or use “Blue Lights” on your own vehicle,
  • you don’t have an airside exposure or exposure to locations such as oil refineries, chemical factories or other hazardous locations where the public don’t have a normal right of access,
  • you have to comply with the rules of the road like most other motorists,
  • you only claim an expense allowance in line with the HMRC requirements.

Help us improve our customer service

Was this article helpful? Yes or No

Leave comments

Email us

We're available 24/7 by email and will aim to get back to you with an answer within one working day.

My account

Save time and money by managing your policy online

  • View policy documents
  • Upload proof of NCD
  • Make changes for free
  • Upgrade cover
  • Access 24/7 claims number

Policy documents

View our policy documents for more detail about what we cover.


Car insurance policy

Policy Summary

Breakdown cover


Home insurance policy

Policy Summary