Extra cover includes Hire Car, Legal Expenses, Breakdown cover from RAC, Keycare and Increased Personal Accident cover. And if you have three or more years no claim discount, you have the option of protecting it. You can quickly take out additional cover when you’re applying online.
In addition to the standard Courtesy car cover, if you select the Hire Car option, a replacement car is provided by one of our approved repairers and is available for the duration of any repairs and if your car is stolen or written off, we provide a hire car until an offer is made to settle the claim (up to a maximum of 21 days).
Designed to keep you mobile during the period of your claim, this option should satisfy the needs of most customers. A standard courtesy car is typically a small, 3 door, 1 litre hatchback model.
Expert legal support when you need it most:
- If you’re involved in a motor accident which is not your fault, we will cover up to £100,000 legal costs for a lawyer to pursue compensation from the driver who is to blame (e.g. personal injury, your excess, travel expenses)*. We will also pay your legal costs should your claim not be successful.
- Up to £10,000 legal costs for a lawyer to defend you if you’re being prosecuted for a motoring offence (e.g. speeding fine)*.
- 24 hour UK legal helpline - confidential legal advice on motoring issues (e.g. private vehicle sale).
*The lawyer will discuss your case with you and represent you if it is more likely than not that you will be successful. For further info see policy wording.
Four levels of cover are available:
Roadside assistance - we'll come out and try and get you moving at the roadside (except within 1/4 mile of your home). If we can't fix your car we'll take it to the nearest garage.
Roadside recovery - roadside assistance (except within 1/4 mile of your home) plus if we can't get your car moving we'll get you and your party to any single destination in the UK.
Roadside recovery and at home and onward travel - we'll provide you with roadside assistance, at home cover plus a hire car for up to one day while your car's fixed. If that's not appropriate, we'll provide overnight accommodation or an alternative form of transport.
Roadside recovery and at home and onward travel and European cover - as above plus we'll provide breakdown assistance in Europe for trips of up to 90 days.
RAC Motoring Services and RAC Insurance Limited are referred to as ‘we’ in this section.
Losing your keys can be a huge irritation and an unwanted expense, but worst of all it can happen at anytime, anywhere. With Keycare all the keys attached to your fob will be covered should you ever lose them. Cover includes the recovery of keys locked inside a vehicle or premises and the cover of replacement keys. If you were unlucky enough to be stranded following the loss of your keys, it will also cover your transport costs home.
- Key recovery and Locksmith assistance
- Up to £1000 cover per fob, per annum. Additional key fobs available.
- No excess to pay and does not affect any no claims bonus
- Emergency UK Based 24 hour helpline, 365 days per year
- All types of car keys covered
- If the keys are found with the Keycare fob, a £10 reward will be issued to the finder.
Increased Personal Accident cover
If you or your spouse/civil partner suffer accidental bodily injury in an accident involving your car we pay up to £40,000 for loss of limb, or loss of sight or death.
Protected no claims discount
Its a way of keeping your no claim discount (NCD) even when you have to make a claim. Protected no claim discount is available for customers with 3 or more years earned NCD as follows:
- If you have 3 years earned no claim discount, protected no claims discount allows you to have one at fault claim before your no claim discount is affected. To be eligible you must have at least 3 years earned no claim discount, and no driver has had any at fault claims in the last 3 years.
- If you have 4 or more years earned NCD, protected NCD allows you to have up to 2 at fault claims in a 3 year period before you lose any NCD. To be eligible you must have at least 4 years earned no claim discount, and no driver has had any at fault claims in the last 2 years.
(Please note if any driver has had one at fault claim in the last 2 years you can still protect your NCD but it will only be protected against 1 at fault claim in any 3 year period)
Certain types of claims won't affect your no claims discount at all:
- Emergency medical treatment
- Glass repair or replacement, including scratches on the bodywork from the broken glass